I decided to do purple polka dots to stick with our bright, polka dot theme. I added a bright green ruffle to the bottom edge. The edges of my table are 40 inches, so I need to cut the ruffle a bit longer to make up for the gathers. The green fabric ended up being 6 x 92 inches. I had to cut two strips and sew them together in the middle because my fabric was only 46 inches long. I also hemmed the green fabric across the bottom and up both sides.
Next it was time to gather the fabric. Just like my curtains, I used the gather foot so I didn't have to zigzag them and pull by hand.
Then it was time to attach the green ruffle to the purple table skirt. Our table is 25 inches tall, so I cut the purple fabric 26.5 x 41 to leave room for the hems and velcro to attach it to the table. I folded the bottom of the purple fabric under to hem it and attach the ruffle at the same time.
I used a zigzag stitch to make the finished edge a little more attractive.
After the skirt was all sewn together, I hemmed around the sides and the top to make it look finished and prevent unraveling too. I used a skinny hem along the sides and a double hem along the top (by folding it over twice instead of once) to provide extra support for the velcro when I attach it to my table. I need to add a few more pieces of velcro to hold the skirt tight and keep it off the floor, but this is what it looks like so far.
That's it! It wasn't too hard at all. I repeated this process for the remaining two sides of my table. I kind of adore the way it looks. Much better than my supplies anyway. ;)